International Studies & Programs

Home > Visa and Immigration > Students, Scholars, and H-1B Employees > Change of Status

Change of Status

The following information is for individuals who want to change their status to:

  • F-1 student
  • J-1 student
  • F-2 dependent
  • J-2 dependent

Before deciding to change status, learn more about the requirements to maintain status for each category on our Maintaining Immigration Status webpage. 

If you're currently in the United States in another nonimmigrant status, there are two ways to obtain student or dependent status.

Option 1: Travel and Re-Entry

  • leave the U.S.
  • apply for a new U.S. visa
  • re-enter in a new status

Option 2: Apply for Change of Status from within the U.S. 

  • submit application to USCIS to change status 
  • do not leave the U.S. while application is pending

Read the Change of Status (PDF) to learn about both options, including:

  • Required documents
  • Application process

Required Check-In at OISS After Obtaining New Status

F-1 and J-1 Students

After obtaining a new status, you must check-in at OISS. Bring the following documents with you:

F-2 and J-2 Dependents

  • Check-in at OISS is not required.


I-94 Arrival/Departure Forms

Travel and Re-Entry

If you obtain a new nonimmigrant status by Travel and Re-entry, after re-entering the U.S., print your on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection I-94 Website

Change of Status from Within the U.S.

If you obtain a new nonimmigrant status by applying for a Change of Status with USCIS, your I-94 form will be at the bottom of your I-797 approval notice. The I-797 approval notice will be mailed to you by USCIS after your new status is approved.