International Studies & Programs

Home > Visa and Immigration > Students, Scholars, and H-1B Employees

Students, Scholars, and H-1B Employees

The Office for International Students and Scholars (OISS) advises MSU’s international students, scholars, faculty and staff and their families on maintaining non-immigrant status in the United States.

We serve the following MSU populations:

F-1 and F-2 
J-1 and J-2 
H-1B and H-4
TN, O-1, and E-3
MSU Employment-Based Permanent Residency

admissions side-by-side.jpgAdmissions

Michigan State University is one of the world's leading research universities. With highly ranked programs and exceptional professors, we educate students who advance the common good with uncommon will. 

Maintaining Immigration Status side-by-side.jpgMaintaining Immigration Status

International students and Scholars are required to understand immigration regulations and maintain non-immigrant status.

Work in the U.S. side-by-side.jpgWork in the U.S.

International students in F-1 and J-1 status and J-2 dependents may be authorized to work in the United States. Immigration regulations allow for different types of work authorization for students. Before working on or off campus, make sure you understand how and when to apply for work authorization. 

Change of Status side-by-side.jpgChange of Immigration Status

If you want to change the purpose of your visit while in the United States, you must file a request with The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on the appropriate form before your authorized stay expires.

transfer in and out side-by-side.jpgTransfer In and Out

International students and scholars may transfer between Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) certified schools. The transfer process is a way to electronically move Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) records and retain the same SEVIS identification number. 

travel and visas side-by-side.jpgTravel and Visas

Specific documents are required to apply for a U.S. visa and enter the U.S. Learn more about what is required for your immigration status. 

returning to MSU side-by-side.jpgReturning to MSU In F-1 Status

If you have been away from MSU for a semester or more, learn about what documents you need so that you can return to the U.S.

family & dependents side-by-side.jpgFamily and Dependents

Learn about how to bring your spouse and/or children with you to the U.S.

international sponsored student program side-by-side.jpgInternational Sponsored Student Program (ISSP)

MSU welcomes hundreds of students who are financially sponsored by a scholarship from a government, an organization, or a company. OISS has a special team of professionals who advise sponsored students and their sponsors. 

avoid immigration scams side-by-side.jpgAvoid Immigration Scams

Learn about scam calls, what to watch out for, and how to protect your privacy and your money.