International Studies & Programs

Home > Visa and Immigration > MSU Departments > Sponsoring Permanent Residency

Sponsoring Permanent Residency

Permanent residency (PR) or legal permanent residency (LPR) is also commonly referred to as the “green card,” “immigrant,” and “resident alien” process. Permanent Residents have authorization to live and work on a permanent basis in the U.S. Whereas most nonimmigrants must document their intent to depart the U.S. after a period in the U.S., permanent residents should have the intent to remain permanently in the United States.


There are several options an individual can obtain permanent residence in the U.S. Employment-based LPR, the only option the University will pursue, requires employer sponsorship. 

Employment-based petitions for permanent residence are time-consuming and complex. Sponsorship for permanent residence requests should be only when there is an institutional need and a reasonable expectation that the individual will continue employment. Sponsorship for permanent residence does not constitute a guarantee of lifetime employment or tenure.

A department interested in pursuing permanent residency for an employee should contact OISS for more information.

Dr. Teresa Mastin, Vice Provost & Associate Vice President for Faculty and Academic Staff Affairs, is the only university official authorized to sign immigration documents on behalf of MSU for legal permanent residency.