Use your browser's "Back" button to return to the original page. Or go to HomeStudentsOrientationPrearrivalBack

Hide Links


Prearrival Information

Health Information

Your Immunization form

MSU requires all entering undergraduate students to complete the Immunization self-report form, available online at ( If you need assistance completing your Immunization self-report, bring your immunization documentation with you when you come to MSU, and someone will assist you. It is strongly advised that young adults entering college have all of the vaccines recommended by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other national health officials prior to enrolling at MSU. A list of recommended immunizations, FAQs, and other information regarding student health and disease prevention can be found on the Office of the University Physician's ( website.

Important information for students with disabilities

The Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities (RCPD) assists students by maximizing ability and opportunity for full participation at MSU. Federal and State laws provide protection against discrimination on the basis of disability. If you have a disability that substantially limits a major life activity and would like to request a disability-related accommodation to participate in MSU programs, you should register with the RCPD. For more information, please visit: (

Student Heath Insurance

All international students are required to carry health insurance as a condition of enrollment at MSU. The insurance premium for student coverage is included on the tuition and fee statement every fall and spring semester. Graduate assistants and teaching assistants receive student health insurance at no cost. If you will purchase health insurance in your home country that will cover you in the U.S., it is possible to waive out of the mandatory insurance policy if your coverage is equivalent. Bring an English version or English translation of your policy information. More information is available at: Health Care and Health Insurance (/students/health/).

Dependent Heath Insurance

Given the high cost of medical care in the United States, MSU advises you in the strongest possible terms to be sure that all accompanying family members carry health insurance at all times. The U.S. government does not subsidize health care costs for foreign visitors. If an uninsured family member needs medical care for any reason, your family could end up with an unmanageable financial burden. You may purchase health insurance for your dependents through the MSU benefits office. However, it may be possible to find a lower-cost health insurance option in your home country or through an internet search.
For additional information on MSU’s health insurance policy provided by the Chikering Group, please visit: ( or contact the MSU Benefits Office at: (517) 353-4434 or

Health Care

MSU’s Olin Health Center provides medical, dental and health education services for students during their enrollment at MSU. Olin Health Center is staffed with board-certified physicians and other certified health care professionals. Medical clinics include: Primary Care, Gynecology, Orthopedics, Psychiatry and Sports Medicine.
Other services available at Olin include: pharmacy, laboratory, physical therapy, and radiology. Health Education services include: nutrition counseling; fitness testing; HIV/AIDS counseling, testing and education; outreach programming for student groups; and a variety of resources online at: ( Additional services include the Pharmacy Delivery Service, and the 24 Hour Phone Information Nurse. Olin also provides a courtesy van that picks up and returns students who live
in campus residence halls, University Apartments, or within one mile of the campus.

A complete overview of health care and insurance information may be found at: Health Care and Health Insurance (/students/health/).

© 2017-2018 Michigan State University Board of Trustees