Small World Map



Whether you are considering employment during your time at MSU or afterwards, it is important to partner with both the Office for International Students and Scholars (OISS), as well as the Career Services Network at MSU. OISS can explain your work authorization options and assist you with the proper documentation in many instances. The Career Services Network offers, among many resources, programs to build your resume writing and job interviewing skills, and a section on their website especially for international students.

Also refer to the following OISS resources for international student career development:

Networking for International Students (PDF)*
This document provides Networking Tips as well as how to create your “elevator speech”, perform informational interviews, and monitor your online professional image.

Resume and Interview Guide for International Student (PDF)*
Learn how to build your resume from the international student perspective – what to include and what to leave out – and prepare yourself for challenges you may encounter in the U.S. workplace. This guide also gives interview “dos” and “don’ts”.

Preparing for the U.S. Workplace (PDF)*
Information on how to talk to employers about your immigration status, an overview of the U.S. Workplace, and an Employer's Guide to Hiring International Students that you could share with prospective employers.

Whether you are looking for a position on or off campus, OISS and Career Services encourages you to become familiar with MySpartanCareer. If you are a doctoral student, you can also take advantage of the resources available on the PhD Career Services website.


Our page "Employing an International Student" covers many of the work authorization options available to you, and can be a useful document to pass along to prospective employers who may be unfamiliar with international student employment permissions.

F-1 or J-1 students (unless prohibited by J-1 sponsor) are eligible to work on-campus for 20 hours a week during the school year and full-time during vacation periods. Work that exceeds 20 hours per week on campus or any work off campus must be authorized by OISS. This section contains more information on employment options, social security numbers and taxes.

On-Campus Work Authorization

F-1 or J-1 students (unless prohibited by J-1 sponsor) are eligible to work on-campus for 20 hours a week during the school year and full-time during vacation periods. Work that exceeds 20 hours per week on campus or any work off campus must be authorized in advance by OISS.

International students who wish to apply for a wide range of on-campus jobs should apply for the International Student Employment Assistance (ISEA) program. For more information about the ISEA program, visit:

F-1 Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

For on campus employment over 20 hours during the academic year, or for any off campus employment, you may be eligible for CPT. [Download the CPT application packet here] (PDF)*

To learn how to apply for CPT, please view our presentation on CPT. [Download the CPT presentation here] (PDF)*

You can also view the pre-recorded CPT presentation as a webinar (a web-based presentation). [View the pre-recorded CPT Webinar here]

F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT)

F-1 students may also be eligible for OPT. MSU offers post-completion OPT with the work authorization period beginning after the student has completed their course of study. [Download the OPT application packet here] (PDF)*.

If you are ready to apply, we suggest that you view our presentation on OPT. [Download the OPT presentation here] (PDF)*.

You can also view the pre-recorded OPT presentation as a webinar (web-based presentation) [View the pre-recored OPT Webinar here]

To report new employment or change of employment, use the following link: OPT Employment Reporting Form .

No matter where you are in the OPT planning or application stages, we suggest that you also read about OPT misunderstandings or "myths".

17-month OPT Extension

A student may be eligible for the 17-month OPT extension if they received a degree included in the STEM Designated Degree Program List. To find out if you are eligible, please see [Download the 17-month OPT Extension application packet here] (PDF)*.

While You Are On OPT

OISS has created a document especially for you explaining what to do while you are on OPT including reporting requirements and what documents to have if you decide to travel. Read While You Are an OPT... (PDF)*. Once you find employment under OPT, it is your responsibility to submit your employer's information to OISS.

J-1 Academic Training

J-1 students may apply for temporary work authorization called "Academic Training" (AT) either prior to or after completion of studies to accept positions within their field of study. J-1 Academic Training (PDF)* | Word version.

J-2 Work Authorization

J-2 visa holders may also be eligible for work authorization in the U.S. Click here (PDF)* for more information.

Social Security Information

Please see our Social Security Information page for more information.

Tax Information

MSU College of Law Clinic provides assistance through seminars and scheduled appointments. More tax information can be found at our Tax Information page.

Individual Taxpayers Identification Number (ITIN)

Unsure if you need an ITIN? Want more information? Read the How to Apply for the Individual Taxpayers Identification Number document.

*Adobe Acrobat Reader Opens in new window is required to read PDF documents.

Comment / Feedback Form