Admissions & Transfers
If you are a prospective undergraduate student and would like to have more information about applying to Michigan State University, please consult the International Admissions page on the Office for Admissions and Scholarships website.
If you are seeking admission to the graduate school please consult their web site at http://grad.msu.edu/apply
Once you have been admitted to MSU, the Office for International Students and Scholars will assist you with immigration questions and your transition to our campus.
If you have already been admitted and are transferring to MSU from another U.S. University, College or High School, please read the information below.
How to obtain your MSU I-20 or DS-2019
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR TRANSFER STUDENTS AND STUDENTS WHO WILL CHANGE THEIR VISA STATUS IN ORDER TO ATTEND MSU.
TRANSFER STUDENTS CURRENTLY IN F-1 or J-1 VISA STATUS:
If you are transferring to Michigan State University from another school in the United States (high school, community college, university, or technical school, etc.) and you are seeking an I-20 or a DS-2019, please follow these steps to obtain your new I-20 or DS-2019.
1) MSU cannot issue you an I-20 or DS-2019 until your current school has released your record in SEVIS. Please work with your current school to ensure electronic transfer of your SEVIS record. Once your record has been electronically transferred, MSU will issue your immigration document.
You and your current school are required to complete the Transfer In form (PDF)* in order to process your transfer to MSU.
2) If you are asking for an immigration document that DOES NOT correspond to your current visa status, you must change your visa status. ISSUING YOU AN I-20 or a DS-2019 DOCUMENT DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY CHANGE YOUR STATUS TO AN F-1 or J-1 STUDENT.
To obtain F-1 or J-1 status, you must:
• leave the US with the MSU I-20 or DS-2019 and re-ente AFTER having obtained the required VISA Stamp at a US consulate OUTSIDE of the United States.
• apply for a change of status within the United States. This is a lengthy process and in some cases you cannot begin school until you have been officially granted the Change of Status. In all cases, you cannot begin work or an assistantship. If the change of status is approved, the student then seeks the appropriate visa stamp at a US consulate on their next trip out of the Unites States. Please consult OISS for more information.
3) If you intend to travel outside the United States after you have transferred out of your current school and before you receive your MSU I-20 or DS-2019 please be advised that you MUST reenter the United States on your MSU I-20 or DS-2019. In this case you must get in touch with the OISS to provide them with an overseas mailing address so your documents can be sent to you. MSU will charge you for the cost of the express mail service so please be ready to provide your credit card details.
STUDENTS SEEKING A NEW VISA STATUS:
If your visa type is NOT currently F-1 or J-1 and you are asking for an I-20 or a DS-2019 to be issued, you will need to change your visa status. REMEMBER THAT OBTAINING THE I-20 or DS-2019 is only the first step in this process, FURTHER ACTION IS NEEDED TO BECOME AN F-1 or a J-1 student. Please consult the OISS for more information. Tel: 517-353-1720 or email@example.com.
IF YOU ARE A J-1 in the scholar or researcher category and would like to enroll at MSU, please consult OISS for more information.
*Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to read PDF documents.