Use your browser's "Back" button to return to the original page. Or go to HomeScholarsTravelBack

Show Links



J-1 scholars must be mindful of visa concerns when planning any international travel. The following pages contain information that will help you plan your next trip outside the United States during your J-1 scholar program.

Are you traveling overseas? To re-enter the United States, you will need the following:

  1. Valid I-20 or DS-2019 recently endorsed with signature from OISS.
  2. Valid visa stamp in passport. Check the expiration date. If expired, you must renew at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy. (Please note, if you have been outside of the United States for 5 months or longer and your F-1 or J-1 visa is still valid ie. unexpired, you may need a NEW visa according to a recent State Department rule. Please check with the nearest US consulate to determine if your visa is still valid for entry to the US.)
  3. Valid Passport
  4. Beginning April 30th, 2013 U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) no longer provides paper I-94 cards at the Port of Entry (except in limited circumstances). For details, visit: I-94 Newsflash
  5. Effective April 28, 2011, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), through a notice in the Federal Register (FR), eliminated the requirement that nationals from the following countries register in the National Security Entry-Exit Registration System (NSEERS): Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Egypt, Eritrea, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan,Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates and Yemen.

DHS removed all countries designated for participation in NSEERS. The regulation remains in place; however, DHS does not currently designate any country, nor does it require any foreign national to participate in the system. Nonimmigrant aliens previously required by NSEERS to submit to special registration procedures and depart from specified ports are relieved of these obligations. For more information, visit:*

If you have any questions before you depart the U.S., please contact OISS.

U.S. Embassies and Foreign Embassies

Travel to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean Islands

Other travel-related info

*Adobe Acrobat Reader Opens in new window is required to read PDF documents.

© 2015-2018 Michigan State University Board of Trustees