Insurance requirements at MSU
Visa status and insurance
|Visa Status||Health Insurance|
|J-1||Required by US Government
(J-1 students must meet MSU requirements)
|J-2||Required by US Government|
Minimum Requirements for J-1 and J-2 scholars
Health insurance coverage is a requirement of all Exchange Visitors in J-1 or J-2 visa status. the U.S. Department of State (DOS) has established the following minimum insurance requirements:
- Medical insurance must cover the entire period of participation in the Exchange Visitor program.
- Medical benefits must provide a minimum of $100 ,000 per accident or illness.
- Medical evacuation must be covered in the amount of $5 0,000, minimum.
- Repatriation must be covered in the amount of $25 ,0 00, minimum.
- The deductible must not exceed $500 per accident or illness.
- Coinsurance does not exceed 25% of covered benefit expense per accident or illness.
- Ensure your insurance policy meets ALL of the requirements mentioned above.
- 3 things you have to submit to OISS after you purchase your insurance for review to insure it meets regulatory requirements. Failure to do so may affect your immigration status.
- Health insurance disclosure form
- Enrollment proof (ex. enrollment certificate, contains your name, enrollment start date and end date)
- A copy of your insurance policy (translated into English if necessary)