Use your browser's "Back" button to return to the original page. Or go to HomeScholarsBack

Hide Links


J-1 scholar departure

Please keep the following in mind when planning your departure from MSU:

  • You must notify the OISS in writing of your intent to depart. Please complete the Scholar Departure Form (PDF)* (/../documents/students/notice_departure_j.pdf) and return it to the OISS at least two weeks prior to your
    departure. The form may be submitted in person or via postal mail, fax, or email.
  • J-1 scholars are given a 30-day grace period at the end of the program. This means that you have until 30 days after the program end date on your DS-2019 to depart the US.

Many scholars choose to spend the 30-day grace period sightseeing around the US prior to returning to their home countries. If you choose to do this, please remember that once you cross the border into another country, your J-1 grace period is over and it is no longer possible to re-enter the US with your J-1 visa.

For example: Many North American sightseeing trips include a visit to Canada. If your travel plans during the 30-day grace period include a visit to Canada and then a re-entry to the US before returning home, you must plan to re-enter in tourist visa status, not J-1 visa status. Depending on your country of citizenship, you may be required to have a B1/B2 visa stamp in your passport in order to re-enter in tourist visa status. Citizens of countries that participate in the Visa Waiver Program do not need a visa stamp in order to re-enter the US in tourist visa status.

© 2015-2018 Michigan State University Board of Trustees