Small World Map


Change of status

Here you will find information relating to changing your visa status either to or from J-1 or J-2 status.

If you are subject to the two-year home residency requirement, you and your dependents cannot do the following:

  1. Change status within the United States
  2. Apply for H-1B, L-1, or Permanent Residency status until you have spent two years in your home country.

The residency requirement may be waived under some circumstances. If you have questions about the home residency requirement, please call the Scholar advisor at OISS to schedule an appointment.

*Adobe Acrobat Reader Opens in new window is required to read PDF documents.