Small World Map
Back to news

On-campus Social Security and Driver's License applications

Posted By: OISS    Published: Thursday, 06 Sep 2012

Information about applying for a Social Security Number and/or Driver’s License On MSU’s Campus

OISS is offering several opportunities for you to apply on MSU’s campus for a Social Security Number (SSN) and/or Michigan Driver’s License and to take the required written test of Michigan driving laws.


If you are eligible for a Social Security Number, you may complete the entire application process on campus during the session. No advance registration is necessary to attend the session.

  • Session Info:
    Date: September 13th, 2012
    Time: 9am-12pm and 1pm-4pm
    Location: 3rd Floor of the International Center

Question: Who needs to apply?

Answer: Only international students and scholars who are employed in the US are required to apply for an SSN.

Question: If I am not employed, can I get an SSN?

Answer: It depends on your visa status. F-1 students must have an employment offer in order to apply for an SSN. So, if you are an F-1 student and you NOT have a job offer, you are NOT eligible for a SSN. F-2 family members are not eligible for an SSN. All J-1 students and scholars ARE eligible for an SSN, regardless of employment status. J-2 family members are only eligible for an SSN if they have US work authorization.

Question: Do I need an SSN for daily life in the US?

Answer: If you are not employed, then no, you do not need it. You can get a bank account, driver’s license, apartment lease, everything you need, all without an SSN. A mobile phone contract may be more expensive without an SSN, but you can still have a pay-as-you-go mobile phone for less.

Question: What documents are required to apply for an SSN?

Answer: Please view documentation requirements listed at the bottom of page 1 here:*


If you wish to apply for a Driver’s License, you may begin the process on campus. However, there are a few steps that must be completed off campus. Please note that applications for State of Michigan Identification Cards will not be accepted on campus.

No advance registration is necessary to attend this session. The application and testing sessions will take place at the following date and location:

  • Friday, September 14th, 9am-12pm and 1pm-4pm, 3rd Floor International Center

Documentation Requirements
The documentation required for these sessions is as follows for all under F-1, F-2, J-1, or J-2 status:

1. Passport

2. I-94 card (should be stapled in passport)

3. I-20 or DS-2019

4. PHOTOCOPIES of items 1, 2, and 3

5. Social Security Document. May include any of the following:
* Social Security Card
* Letter from Social Security Administration listing your Social Security Number (SSN)
* Letter from Social Security Administration confirming that you have applied for an SSN
* Letter from Social Security Administration confirming that you are NOT eligible for an SSN (denial/rejection letter, also called SSA L-676)

6. Two documents proving residency in the State of Michigan. Common examples include:
* Rental agreement or lease document for your place of residence
* A letter from your bank or recent bank statement showing your address
* A blank check showing your address

For a complete list of possible residency documents, see column 4 of the following document:*

Speed up the process with a driver’s license translation:

If you provide your home country driver’s license AND an official English translation (unless English already appears on the license), you can get your driver’s license up to THIRTY DAYS FASTER. Bring both your original license and a photocopy. If you do not have an official translation, feel free to use this OISS template:*.  You cannot translate your own license. Translators must be either faculty members or graduate students at MSU. Translations must be typed.

Tags: Socialsecuritynumber  Driver'sLicense  

*Adobe Acrobat Reader Opens in new window is required to read PDF documents.