Use your browser's "Back" button to return to the original page. Or go to HomeNews

Hide Links

News (/news/)

Back to news (/news/)

If you are traveling outside of the U.S., read this first

Posted By: OISS    Published: Thursday, 23 Jun 2011

If you plan to travel outside the U.S. while you are here at MSU, there are certain documents you should have for re-entry:

• Valid passport (at least 6 months into the future from the date of re-entry).
• Valid F-1 or J-1 visa stamp in your passport on the date of re-entry (unless Canadian citizen). If you need to renew your visa, please view the following: (
• I-20 or DS-2019 signed by OISS no more than 6 months from the date of re-entry.

F-1 students on Optional Practical Training (OPT) will need additional documentation for travel and should consult an OISS advisor before traveling outside of the U.S.

You can also visit the travel section of our website: or consult with an OISS advisor.

Related to re-entry, as of April 28, 2011, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) eliminated the requirement that nationals from certain countries register in the National Security Entry-Exit Registration System (NSEERS). You can view the full notice at the following link:



Tags: OPT (/news/OPT/)  travel (/news/travel/)  visa (/news/visa/)  NSEERS (/news/NSEERS/)  DHS (/news/DHS/)  

© 2013-2018 Michigan State University Board of Trustees