Small World Map


Back to news

New students: Important MSU Housing and Dining Information

Posted By: OISS    Published: Monday, 01 Jul 2013

You probably have many questions about housing and dining both on and off campus. The Office for International Student and Scholars (OISS) would like to answer some of the more commonly asked questions you may have. More information can be found at

Who is required to live on-campus?
All first year undergraduate MSU students are required by MSU policy to live in on-campus housing. More information about on-campus housing and a list of commonly asked questions can be found at

How do I apply to live in a residence hall?
Applications can be submitted at any time. Please make sure you have paid your Advanced Enrollment Deposit (AED) and requested a housing assignment before departing your home country.

Student Housing Contract 2013-2014 (PDF)*
More information can be found at Questions can be sent by e-mail to: 

When can I learn my housing assignment?
Applications can be submitted at any time and you will notified via your MSU email account by Residence Education and Housing Services when you can view your neighborhood assignment in early June and your room and hall assignment in early August if you are moving in fall semester.

What address should I write on my luggage tag?
Please be sure to write your exact housing assignment clearly on your luggage tags. Click here to make a luggage tag:

When can I move into my assigned residence hall?
The earliest you can move into your residence hall is 8 am August 17th, 2013 You will be able to see your neighborhood assignment in early June by logging in at Please be sure you arrive in time for international student orientation on August 19, 2013, if you are a regularly admitted student. Provisionally admitted students must take the MSU English Language Test (MSUELT) and must attend orientation on August 18, 2013.

Can I move in to my room before August 17th because my flight arrives earlier?
No, residence halls will not be available until August 17th. However, for $16 per night, there will be a student hostel at Mason/Abbot hall available for the nights of August 15th and 16th. Students will be assigned to rooms as they arrive, and reservations will not be necessary. Dining will be available in The Gallery at Snyder Phillips for purchase at the door. No meal plan will be available during those two days. For more information about the hostel, please contact 517-355-6437.

If you are arriving prior to August 15, please refer to this link for a list of local hotels and make a reservation as soon as possible.

Will someone be available to check me into my residence hall late at night?
Yes. Service Center staff at your residence hall will be available 24 hours a day to check you in and help you get settled into your room beginning August 17, 2013.

When can I move into Spartan Village?
Students living in Spartan Village Apartments can move in to their apartment as early as August 1, 2013. For more information contact: Spartan Village Apartments 517-355-9550

Dining Services at Michigan State University
MSU Culinary Services provides on- and off-campus students with a variety of delicious options. Students can choose to eat at 12 residence dining halls, Sparty's coffee shops and convenience stores, and the MSU Union and International Center food courts. More information can be found at

Owen Residents Dining Plan
Dining plans for Owen residents start the day the move in to their residence halls. Click here for more information.

Off-campus Housing
Students who are eligible and want to live off-campus have many choices. Apartment buildings close to campus offer one and two bedroom apartments for about $500 to $700 per month. For more information about living in East Lansing and the surrounding area, visit The ELmanac's website at:

Tags: fall2013orientation  newstudentfall2013  newinternationalstudent  internationalstudentorientation  

*Adobe Acrobat Reader Opens in new window is required to read PDF documents.