Small World Map


Back to news

I-94 Card Changes and travel reminders

Posted By: OISS    Published: Thursday, 25 Apr 2013

Beginning April 30th, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will no longer provide paper I-94 cards at the Port of Entry (except in limited circumstances). Instead, travelers will receive a CBP admission stamp in their passports. Here’s what you need to know:

  • The new admission stamp will have the date of admission to the U.S., the class of admission (such as F-1 or J-1), and for how long the student/scholar has been admitted.
  • The I-94 automation will not impact a student/scholar's ability to enter the U.S.
  • Once you get to your final destination, you will need to print out your I-94 information from
  • You will also use this site to find your I-94 admission number or print an electronic I-94 card in order to apply for immigration/public benefits such as a Driver’s License or Social Security Number.
  • Students/scholars will not need to do anything differently upon exiting the U.S. If you have a paper I-94 card, you will still surrender it to the commercial carrier or CBP. If you do not have a paper I-94 card, CBP will record your departure using manifest information obtained from the commercial carrier. 
  • OISS recommends that you print out the I-94 and that you verify all information is correct. If the I-94 information is incorrect, or date specific (not D/S), then please contact OISS. OISS can direct you to the appropriate procedure for correction.

Overall, this change is expected to expedite passenger processing. For more information, please go to

For more travel related information, please refer to the Travel section of our website:

Tags: travel  i-94card  visarenewal  visastatus  summertravel