1. Enrollment numbers
- The fall 2007 total of 3,869 international
students is the highest in MSU's history. The increase of 343 students over
fall 2006 is growth of 9.7 % over last year's previous record. The trend of
strong growth in MSU's international enrollments over the past two years is
welcome news following the slight decrease in fall 2005.
- International freshman increased by an
extraordinary 45% over fall 2007. The overall increase of 288 international
undergraduates showed growth of 24.8% over fall 2006.
- International graduate student enrollments
increased by 17 students over fall 2006.
2. Sending Countries
- Asia sends the most international students to
MSU. With 907 Korea remains the country sending the most international
students to MSU. This is followed by China (787), India (393) and Taiwan
- Most of the strong increase in international
undergraduates came from Korea and China. Overall, enrollments from China
increased by 31.2% over fall 2006. Enrollments from Japan declined by 8.4%
over a year ago.
- Enrollments from five countries, Korea, China,
India, Taiwan and Japan, make up 63.1% of the total international student
- The number of sending countries dropped from
136 in 2006 to 131 in fall 2007.
- International students comprise 8.4% of MSU's
total enrollment in fall 2007.
3. Hosting colleges
- The Colleges of Business (638), Natural
Science (587), Engineering (535), and Arts and Letters (452) enrolled the
largest numbers of international students during the 2006 academic year.
4. Visiting scholars
- In addition to the record high number of
international students, a total of 957 international scholars were on campus
this past year to teach and/or conduct research.
5. Local economic impact
- According to the Institute of International
Education's formula, the total of 4972 international students and scholars at
MSU contributed more than $92 million to the local economy.
By Country, Gender, and Level
By Regional Trend
By Country of Origin - Africa
By Country of Origin - Asia
By Country of Origin - Europe
By Country of Origin - Latin America
By Country of Origin - Middle East
By Country of Origin - North America
By Country of Origin - Oceania
Enrollment Trends by College
Enrollment by Major and Level
Enrollment by Fall
Sponsored Students by Country