2013 Statistical Report
Analyzing international student enrollments at MSU
- The 7,161 international students in fall 2013 is an increase of 8.5% over the total from a year ago. Undergraduates continue to top graduate students: 4,519 compared to 2,233 graduate students.
- The international enrollment story at Michigan State University continues to be the significant growth of Chinese undergraduates. There are a number of reasons for this growth including China's growing middle class, insufficient higher education capacity to meet the country's needs and the liberalized U.S. visa policies.
- The Colleges of Business (2,379), Engineering (1,202), Natural Science (764), Social Science (713), and Agriculture and Natural Resources (583) currently enroll the largest numbers of international students at MSU in fall 2013.
- Another area of strength is the rise in the number of sponsored students. There are over 600 international students at MSU who are sponsored by their governments, the U.S. government, or other organizations. This is a reflection of MSU's strong reputation abroad and the professional services that MSU provides to meet the unique needs of sponsored students.
- According to NAFSA's (Association of International Educators) estimated economic impact formula, MSU's international students contribute an estimated $242 million to the local East Lansing economy
International student reports:
- By Country and Level of Study (PDF)*
- By Regional Trend (PDF)*
- By Country of Origin - Africa
- By Country of Origin - Asia (PDF)*
- By Country of Origin - Europe (PDF)*
- By Country of Origin - Latin America (PDF)*
- By Country of Origin - Middle East (PDF)*
- By Country of Origin - North America (PDF)*
- By Country of Origin - Oceania
- By College/Enrollment Trend (PDF)*
- By Major and Level of Study (PDF)*
- By Fall Semester Enrollment Trends (PDF)*
- By Fall Semester College/Enrollment Trends (PDF)*
- By Fall Semester New Students Country/Level (PDF)*
- By Top 5 Countries and Major (PDF)*
Stats Summary Brochure:
Data provided by Michigan State University's Office of the Registrar and the Institute of International Education's Open Doors Report.
Full Statistical Reports
OISS is responsible for serving international students at MSU and prepare this data annually. Please choose an edition below to read more about international enrollment and annual highlights. This publication is available late fall of every year.
- 2012 Report
- 2011 Report
- 2010 Report
- 2009 Report
- 2008 Report
- 2007 Report
- 2006 Report (PDF)*
- 2005 Report (PDF)*
- 2004 Report (PDF)*
2003 Report (PDF)*
*Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to read PDF documents.